Frederick Terman, Dean of the School of Engineering at Stanford University, spearheaded the formation of the Stanford Research Park in the early 1950s. The development was located in Palo Alto, on 700 acres of university property stretching south from El Camino Real across Page Mill Road and Foothill Expressway to the intersection of Arastradero Road and Deer Creek Road. Terman promoted the park as “a center of high technology near a cooperative university.” Construction began in 1951. Varian Associates became the first tenant in 1953, followed shortly by Hewlett-Packard, General Electric, Eastman Kodak, and Lockheed.